Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I Wish I Could Love All Review Books

I think the universal truth about reviewers is that they hope every galley turns out to be the best galley they've ever read.  I know it's true for me.  I start reading, not looking for the negatives, but eager to read something brilliant that takes me outside of myself for a few hours, and if I'm lucky, sporadically for a few days or months while my mind wanders to what I learned or how much I enjoyed certain passages.

Unfortunately, books like The Cost of Loving pop up, leaving me perplexed as to how they got published without someone--a friend of the author's, an editor, someone--mentioning to the writer all the problems the manuscript has so that the writer could fix those problems.

There are so many improbable situations in Cost of Loving that I can't imagine the book previous to it would actually make Loving make sense.  But as a reviewer I live in hope that what I don't understand might make a little sense to someone else.  However, for me to honestly say that I like a book, the very basic requirement is that I understand what's happening in the book and don't have the problems I did with this one.

What confused me?  Why didn't this book work for me?  Click the link on the title above and read my review.  It says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment