Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Good Romance Makes Me Want to Hike

Reading and reviewing as much as I do has formed me into the couch potato that I am.  While others may find "the burn," I'm perfectly happy without it.  But A. J. Thomas' Sex & Sourdough is such a delightful romance that I actually longed to go hiking.  And not just any hiking.  No, I wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail, even though I heard about Micah Goldfus' trek and the misery he went through to make the climb.

Nevertheless, while Thomas doesn't make it sound like a walk in a park--any park--the author does paint readers an image of often unimaginable delights.  She also contrasts the Appalachian Trail with the West Coast's Pacific Rim Trail, with the western hike fairing poorly beside its East Coast counterpart.

Be warned that this isn't a guidebook but a gay romance novel, so even though hiking the trail takes up a large part of the plot, the romance, which is beautifully written, holds the center of the stage.

This is the second Thomas romance I've read, and I can't wait to read more from this interesting, skillful writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment