Thursday, February 27, 2014

Gilded Gay Romance

Once upon a time in a place far, far away, when I was younger and my hands were steady as rocks, I took up calligraphy and loved it.  There's something so soothing about the building of strokes to make letters to form words.


Rowan Speedwell in Illumination hints at this nearly mystical creative feeling when he describes the pages his character Miles pens and decorates.  Of course, the book, a gay romance novel, doesn't dwell on Miles' ability to create one-of-a-kind manuscript pages and other artwork, but instead how this agoraphobic, whose mind has betrayed him, breaks out of his cloister.


I'm thinking that next I need to read Speedwell's Ghosts of Bourbon Street in order to get ready for the Romantic Times Convention in May that's being held in New Orleans.  That should help put me in the mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment