Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Love Comes in the Dead of the Night

My Halloween flash fiction piece, Love Comes in the Dead of the Night, ran on Lex Chase's blog on Friday, October 30, and I didn't tell anyone! 

Just goes to show how discombobulated I've been since we got to Vermont.  Anyway, the beginning of the story is below as is a link to find the rest:

“Tell me what happened right before the crash, sir.”

The guy sitting with his head bent on the side of the road looked vampire pale. I took a blood pack from my back pocket and pumped it few times for it to liquefy before I handed it to him. Since the night was chilly, the blood wouldn’t be at room temperature whatever that was, but it would be nourishing.

“A ghost. I saw a ghost,” he muttered as he grabbed the pack and starting swilling it.

I would have told him to slow down, but I knew these guys got testy when they were peaked. I may live in Podunk, but I can read.

“So this ghost…” I left it open-ended for him.

“The ghost got in the car and threatened me.” He wiped the back of his hand over his mouth. Drops of blood flew in an arch into the night.

The vampire turned to me and I realized I knew him. It was Jim Johnson from down at the hardware store.

“So, Jim, what did this ghost say?”

Jim blinked a couple of times. Now that his color was back it hit me again, like it always did when I went in to get a screw or molly bolts, how handsome he was. If I was into vamps, he’d be my type. But I’d never been with one, so I wasn’t positive about that.

“The ghost said writing off this boondocks was a mistake. He said the love of my life was here, and all I had to do was look around.” He looked up at me and blinked a couple more times. Then his eyes widened. “Oh, uh, hi, Officer Davis. Uh, you got another of those packs? Wouldn’t want to accidentally bite you.”

Read the rest here: Lex Chase's Flash Fiction Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment