Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm Not Amish But This Is a Good Read

My review of Katie's Way by Marta Perry has been published on AAR today.  I don't know what appeals to me about the Amish books.  Maybe it's the ideal of a close-knit community even though I know that such communities are rife with gossip and backbiting.  But ideal is still there.

Maybe it's that in this age of laxity, the Amish are a group whose glue is living by rules.  Or maybe it's the facade of purity and serenity.

Or possibly it's that I know myself well enough to know that I could never, ever live the life of an Amish person.

I grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska, and almost from the moment I was born, I wanted to leave.  I guess that's why I was so surprised years ago when I met this very gentle young Amish man (mid- to late-teens at a guess) who when finding out I was from Nebraska gushed, "Oh, I've always wanted to go there!  Tell me what it's like!"  No one I've known before or since has been that enthusiastic about the state.  In our conversation, he said that Nebraska was where he ultimately wanted to live.  I sincerely hope he's living a long, healthy, happy life there.

No comments:

Post a Comment