Monday, March 19, 2012

Good Premise; Faulty Follow-through

I was really excited when I read the blurb about Shadow's Stand: a half-breed cowboy and a Chinese woman come together.  Living on the West Coast near a train museum, I've read quite a bit about the contributions of the Chinese to the transcontinental railroad and Western expansion.

Add to that numerous trips to museums and historical societies that have extensive resources about Native American Indians, I have more than a little knowledge about that time in American history.

Finally, because I read so much Western American romance, I've got a pretty good idea about what themes and characters have been explored and which are staples and nearly cliche.

A romance between a Chinese woman and a half-breed man is as rare as the fist-sized gold nugget.  Bring it on!  I was ready to read.

Unfortunately, McCarty wasn't ready to deliver.  You can read all about it in my AAR review.

No comments:

Post a Comment