Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Before Surgery a Disappointing Inspirational

As I go into kidney surgery today, I see that my review of Naomi King's Abby Finds Her Calling is running on AAR.  This truly was one of the strangest books I've read in quite a while.  For starters the Abby of the title has found her calling from page 1.

Stranger still is that Abby loves wishy-washy James who loves Abby's younger sister Zanna who loves black sheep Jonny. Fortunately Zanna bags Jonny by the end of the book, and equally fortunate, Abby and James still aren't together.  And Abby, the Abby of the title, still has the calling she had at the beginning of the book.

So why isn't it called Zanna Finds a Husband since that's the point of the book?  Got me.  And I have to wonder which editor at NAL didn't read this book at all, but grabbed it because Amish books have made a resurgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment