Saturday, July 20, 2013

Rick R. Reed Reigns

The first Reed book I read, Chaser, was refreshing in that it didn't idealize gay men's perfect bodies, handsome (always handsome) faces, and generally perfect physical attributes.  In fact, Kevin's chubby, not svelte or built, and Caden, his eventual lover, is turned on by chubby.

The roadblock to their HEA is a thoroughly unlikeable guy named Bobby, who my mind's eye saw as the kind of guy Matthew Lillard played in the movie She's All That only with a mean edge.

So when I read that Reed was going to use Bobby as his next hero, I knew Reed had his work cut out for himself.  I also knew that Reed has been writing for quite a while, so meeting the challenge might not be as daunting as it first appeared.

Consequently, when I read Raining Men, I wasn't so much surprised that it was such a spectacular book as much as I was pleased.  Like a lot of gay fiction, Raining Men isn't an easy story to digest, but it's an honest and hard-hitting one, and I'm proud to be able to bring it to romance readers' attention with a Desert Isle Keeper review today.

No comments:

Post a Comment